Through Thick and Thin

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Our good friend came as promised to hang out with Brad and the two of them went on a "man date" as my kids called it.  Hopefully he got to do some venting and relieve a little stress. Unfortunately when he got home the stress level topped out again when I showed him my chest and he ran me over to my sisters for a second opinion.:( I think we both need a vacation.

I spent the evening playing board games with the kids. About 8pm my left breast area started hurting. I thought nothing of it because after my first set of drains came out I was so sore, like a deep bruising, and it lasted for days. After awhile it got worse and by 10 I could see visible fluid build up. Very odd considering in the past it has been a gradual accumulation and no pain associated with it. I had Kinsey check it out since she saw the area right after drain removal. She was shocked and confirmed it was a big change. Of course it was a Saturday night, I knew my surgeon was out of town and I really didn't want an ER doctor poking around on me. No offense to ER doctors but I know how surgeons are, they don't want anyone messing with their work and I was just more comfortable dealing with the guy who now knows me like a book. I decided to get my sister's opinion just to make sure she thought I was OK to wait til Monday. She too felt the swelling was significant for just 24 hours post drain removal and was able to palpate a hardened area. The whole area is much firmer than it has ever been and was very tender. We agreed avoid ER if possible and decided I should call the surgeon on call. He was very nice and said ice the area and see my doctor Monday but if it got a lot worse go to ER. I already knew that but it just made me feel better talking to him. Although I had been on an antibiotic and I had no fever I just knew that this was an infection brewing. I have quite a history of infections occurring in one area while I'm on antibiotics for another area. Now to watch and wait.


No comments: