Through Thick and Thin

Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday, May 18, 2012

This month is flying by so much so my head is spinning some days. This is the last full week of school for the kids and it's been insanely busy. I don't think I have seen Kinsey much before nine each night and Brody had three golf matches. He has worked really hard and shot his personal best of par at an away match this week. He was pumped up!  Twice this week he hit the ball which hit the flag and dropped straight in the whole. Unbelievable!  The second one was amazing!  He was on the other side of a mound and was chipping to get on the green when up and in it went. We were cracking up! So happy for him :)

The left side has not felt quite right since this last JP drain came out. It is mostly uncomfortable when I try to sleep on that side, I just can't do it.  Feels like a lot of pressure. I'm not sure what that is as I was able to sleep on my left with all the drains. It is still swollen but softening. I can't tell if there is any fluid however there is just a bit back in the right. We'll  have to wait and see at the Monday appointment.

In the meantime I'm plugging away on tasks I can do by myself without overdoing it.  When I take a break I sit down with my feet up and pray or read. All too soon I will have finished my Chicken Soup for the Survivor's Soul book. Although addicted I have forced myself to read it only a few stories at a time. The personal experiences are so deep and moving that I like to take them all in. In almost every account there is something I can relate to. The human spirit is incredibly amazing!

Here is an excerpt on attitude that's worth sharing:

-Being a victim is a state of body. Being a survivor is a state of mind.
-A victim fears hair falling out. A survivor knows bald is beautiful.
-A victim knows about feeling down.  A survivor knows feeling down is OK.
-A victim fears the side effects of treatments.  A survivor wonders how to cancel his membership in the Side-Effect-of-the-Month Club.
-A victim is amazed at all the tears.  A survivor never leaves home without a Kleenex.
-A victim goes to "see" a doctor. A survivor "consults" with her or her physician.
-A victim gets caught in despair. A survivor prays a lot.
-A victim feels helpless.  A survivor says "thanks" with dignity and grace.
-A victim enjoys a good laugh.  A survivor loves one.
-From the moment we are diagnosed, we are victims.  We must CHOOSE to be survivors.
                                                                                     Paula (Bachleda) Koskey

I would have to agree that at least for my journey I can relate to many of these statements, especially the praying and laughing-extreme opposites but both so important to me!

No comments: