Through Thick and Thin

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Monday, April 30th, 2012

Sunday was a super long exhausting day! We went to church and then Brad and I tried to take a much needed nap on a cold rainy day. No luck there for me. Later we went to our Uncle's showing. I say "our" because Uncle Johnny is a great uncle to Brad on his dad's side and is an uncle to me on my mom's side. As Brad always says "The Benton County family tree is a poplar, not too many forks in the branches."

It was great to see so many family and friends but of course also emotional. My cousin's wife has been such a support for me. She has just undergone mastectomy for the second time-19 years ago and just recently,  and is in the process of reconstruction. She made a point to speak with Brad and I about it and her words were very encouraging! She looks awesome for her second go round and couldn't be more positive.  We spoke with most of the family and  just after wiping away some tears Brad and I knelt down at the casket. All of the sudden something went flying over my head and landed smack dab next to Uncle Johnny. It completely startled me. Some of his kids started hysterically laughing as I stood  up and retrieved a little black shoe. His youngest granddaughter had been standing nearby swinging her feet and her shoe  flew off and just missed us landing in the casket next to her Grandpa. Wow!  I can't make this stuff up! Needless to say it was the comic relief everyone needed about then and we were convinced Uncle Johnny was in Heaven getting quite a chuckle.

From there I went into work for about 6 hours. I'm not released to work the floor but at the end of the month we have routine paperwork so my boss agreed to let me do some hours that way. It felt good to be helpful and we can really use the little bit of money since I am getting no income at all during my time off.  I worked until about 3AM.

Later today I met some great friends from college. It had been 20 years since we had been out together so we had lots of catching up to do. At the end of a wonderful visit and lunch one of them shared she is having a hysterectomy in June due to findings of abnormal cells. She had waited to schedule her surgery until she knew everything had gone fine for me. It just seems that every week it is someone else living in fear, not knowing, and waiting to find out if it's their turn to hear those dreaded words..."You have cancer."  Needless to say prayers would be appreciated for good results for my dear friend!


Tonight we are celebrating another special occasion for Brody. Deciding what to wear to this event was a bit  awkward. It was warm enough layers weren't needed. I have my bra but can't wear it due to the drains.I managed to find a top and a black tank that I could clip my drains to. They were well camouflaged and the ruffles helped hide the flat chest. After getting myself all together we headed out to school to celebrate Brody's second big honor in a month. This time he was inducted into the Spanish National Honor Society. Inductees have to have all A's for three semesters in order to be eligible. We are extremely proud of all his hard work and accomplishments!!! Way to go Brodrick!

No comments: