Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mark it down!  I'm posting today's events today!  I guess that is a good sign that I'm feeling better.

I made a call to the doctor just to clarify that my understanding was correct. My post op paperwork said I could not drive until released from the surgeon or not taking pain meds. To me that was either/or. I didn't want any of the Big Brothers watching out over me to yell at me so I covered my bases. You see I made that mistake once. Last week when I saw the surgeon he said I could take my drains out or my sister could. I immediately asked her too because they were in a difficult place for me to see well enough and I just thought it made better sense.  However, when I posted an update on Face Book I merely stated what I was told, that she or I could remove them. I didn't further explain that she was going to do it. Oh boy!  My friend/prior boss saw that and she shot a message to my sister worried I was taking them out myself. Then my sister shot me a message stating I absolutely wasn't taking them out. You see, Big Brother doesn't miss a thing!!! :) That's good actually to know so many people are watching out over me. However it's pretty clear I'm not going to get by with anything! Anyway, yes, my interpretation was correct, I can drive. Awesome!

Itching to get out of the house I hopped in the my suburban. First hurdle crossed. I am 5ft 3in so it's a big step anyway. I was able to get in just using my legs and not using my arms to pull me up. I made a quick trip to Walmart to look for some new sports bras. The weather is warming up and as soon as I don't have to wear layers it's going to be awkward knowing how to dress. I am guessing that my insurance won't pay for the prosthesis AND reconstruction. That is really what I need, something to tide me over in between times, especially with graduation being June 3rd.  I do know that each side is about $365 and that doesn't include the special bras. Not a cheap investment if I have to pay for them myself. This was my third surgery in 8 months so our medical bills are unbelievable. I had not worked at my job long enough for FMLA, had used my PTO time for my gallbladder surgery and so was forced to change my status in order to even have a job. Oh well, as we always do we will cross that bridge when we come to it. After tomorrow's appointments I will know more what to expect.

Driving isn't an issue, it's the seat belt. My chest feels so weird.  Sometimes I don't notice the numbness at all unless I actually touch it, but putting a seat belt across is miserable. It just feels gross quite frankly. I am hoping that eventually that feeling will disappear as it has shown some signs of improvement, but it's possible that it's permanent.  I don't know if it's because he did skin sparing or if it would be that way anyhow but I feel like I have all this tissue under my arms. My clothes rub and it irritates especially where he took the lymph nodes.  Just kind of hard to describe but very uncomfortable. I did notice I felt light headed a couple of times in the store. It didn't last long and it was a quick in and out trip. Everything I was after was right near the front of the store. I was glad because for being so ready to get out I was already ready to head home. Isn't that how it always works?  At any rate I was very proud of myself for venturing out. Now I just have to wait for tomorrow to learn the next leg of my journey.

No comments: