Through Thick and Thin

Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday, April 6, 2012

Yesterday was my first full day home and for all you doubters out there I took it very easy!  A good friend came to spend the day with me just in case I needed anything. I was able to manage a shower and washing my hair by myself, but it was comforting she was there if I needed her. I have been threatened within an inch of my life if I don't behave and lay low during my recovery.  After a very sweet supportive text from my old college buddy (also a nurse) she followed it with "Excellent!  All sounds good..:) will check in again and see when coming out is good. Hang in there.  Take your pain pills and sleep! No hostess B--- S---!"  I guess she told me! lol I've also been threatened with hand cuffs. Gee, do these people know me or what??? I assured them this surgery would be much different than the ones in the past and I have promised to not over do it!

Everyone has been very good about calling before stopping in. That is much appreciated. It's great to see everyone but I am very tired. However, as you can tell by the times of my entries, I am having some degree of insomnia. Besides, stretching out my visitors will help me get through a little bit later when I think I will really be needing a little extra support. My sister has done an amazing job of organizing meals. We basketball moms are a pretty close nit group. Everyone pitched in in one way or another for the first mom to go through this, now they are helping us out. Such a wonderful thing! It's also nice because I look forward to visits from whoever has dinner for us each night.

As mentioned before there are not too many secrets around our house. The kids have asked questions and stayed on top of things quite nicely. They both were with me the day of surgery and Kinsey is staying home today to help me out and get me to my first post-op appointment. She really wants to help but I am sure a little bit of it is that Senioritis kicking in. Either way I'm happy to have her around. The kids got to see my dressings and drains in the hospital and I explained I would be coming home with the drains. They were fascinated with the way the dye used to isolate the lymph nodes does strange things to a body and wanted to know all about that. After I got all settled in they went ahead home to do homework and try to rest up.

The evening of surgery I had chicken and noodles and I dropped a noodle right between my two dressings. I called Brad over and showed him the noodle then asked if he'd like to retrieve it for me. I  reminded him now it wouldn't be as much fun. He started cracking up!  We got a good laugh! I could never handle this if we didn't have some humor along the way. Believe me, family and friends are doing a good job at interjecting their wise cracks too!

Both Brad and my sister were in the room Wednesday morning for the grand unveiling. I couldn't look at Brad's face when the Dr. removed the dressings but he seemed to do pretty well. It was actually easier for me to look then than it is now. I'm not sure if it was exactly what he expected or not.

After we got home I talked to the kids a bit more about post-op needs etc. I asked if they wanted to see my incisions and they both immediately said yes. As long as they were OK seeing my chest I had no issue showing them. I wasn't sure Brody would be comfortable but he was so I let them both take a peek. They both did very well. Needless to say more questions followed. I figure there might be a time Brody is the only one here to help me so he may as well be aware. Trying to do my hair and get dressed is a feat when I am supposed to keep my arms below my head so I do need help at times. They were fascinated by the drains so I explained how they worked and how the color of the drainage would change over time and lessen. They have learned a lot through this process.

As you see I did post a picture of one of the Jackson-Pratt drains. I hope that isn't too graphic for anyone. They don't typically show you a drain before surgery and these type of drains are used in many cases so I'm sure some of you out there may have seen them. I'm  also posting a picture of one of the breast pillows they gave me. I am guessing women volunteers make them as they are definitely a work of love. They are small kidney shaped pillows that I use to put under each arm when I rest. It helps raise my arms a bit therefore decreasing swelling but also keeps my arms from rubbing against my chest. They are wonderful!

Had a few visitors on Thursday, just the right amount. Our little nephews and niece came to say hello and each colored pictures for me. Super sweet! Of course I am keeping a scrap book of my Journey so all those little goodies will go in it. For now I think I will try to go back to bed for awhile. Need to be rested up for my morning appointment.

No comments: