Through Thick and Thin

Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday, April 6th, 2012

Kisney stayed home from school to help me today as we planned. She did a great job! Even before getting out of bed I had an episode of the shooting/burning pain I described earlier. Each time it happens in the area of the drains. I didn't think much about it because I have had it several times but it never lasted and was tolerable. I have a high pain tolerance and have used the pain meds as I need to stay comfortable and not let the pain get out of control. I've medicated before showering and been very good about not overdoing my activity.  I had a couple more spells in the shower and Kinsey had to help me finish doing my hair and getting ready. Finally we made it out the door and I just sat very still in the car hoping the pain pill I took would take effect quickly.

Brad and Kristin met us there. By the time we got into a room I was really hurting and trying to take some slow deep breaths and relax. Was really wishing I had taken two pills and unfortunately had not brought them with me.  The doctor said my incisions looked great and he was willing to remove the drains. I explained that I felt the drainage was borderline to a bit high and my sister agreed. I had my log in hand and explained I would rather deal with this pain than have to come back and have any fluid build up aspirated with a needle. He agreed to leave them in and even said Kristin or I could remove them when ready or I could come back and he would remove them. Kristin was willing as it will be difficult for me to properly see the area to snip the suture. He said not to rush getting fitted for a prosthesis as the area needs to heal. No worries there. Also there is no rush on reconstruction. The doctor explained that the numbness in my chest may resolve or may be permanent. He also explained that just like amputees who lose a limb women can experience phantom breast pain. We had just been talking about that in the waiting room. The doctor left to check on the pathology report. Before long I was in tears as the burning sensation was persistent and severe. Brad helped me lay down and Kristin went ahead and added a dressing around my right drain just as some extra support. That helped a bit. Every move caused pain. 

Next he reviewed the pathology report. Great news on this Good Friday!  The cancer is not invasive, it is stage 0, and the lymph nodes were all clear! He feels surgery is the only treatment needed but said that the final decision will be up to the oncologist. He did say that not every single section of the breasts can be viewed so he still feels due to it's size the right decision was made to take the entire left as well as the right. Just as the biopsy stated there were atypical cells surrounding the DCIS. Also, on  the right side there were some calcifications. The can become an issue later on. He felt that we made the right treatment choice regarding bilateral mastectomy.What an amazing relief that was!!! The best news I could possibly ask for and how very awesome to get it during Holy Week!  God is good! We shared some hugs and sighed a giant sigh of relief!

I am to follow up with the surgeon next Friday and from there see the oncologist to review everything. I took a copy of the pathology to her office so she would have plenty of time to review it before next week. I was feeling a little weak in the knees due to the pain but made it back to the car with the help of Brad and Kinsey. We stopped to get a cold drink then Kinsey got me home. This time I took two pain pills and went right to bed. That did the trick!  A nice long nap and I was back in the saddle. Really feeling that although today's episode of pain was miserable I have been very fortunate to have overall been relatively comfortable. So many things to be thankful for!!!

No comments: