Through Thick and Thin

Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday, April 27, 2012

My doctor and I are simply going to have to quit meeting like this. The every Friday thing is getting a little crazy!  As I suspected drains were re-inserted.  Although the fluid on average per day is still decreasing there is still too much there. The object is to get the tissue to remain flat so it can "stick down" so to speak and finish healing inside. With the fluid accumulation that won't happen. I went to this appointment knowing full well that since I had escaped drains last week but was still having issues I'd probably come home with them. Fortunately I am still numb in that area so I did just fine.  I couldn't feel him make the tiny incision or the initial insert but as he advanced the tubing I had some biting or stinging. The right was worse than the left. That didn't surprise me either as it was the one that got sore the last time. When he added the stitches to secure the drains I could only feel him snug it up and tie the knot. That was a bit painful. He is starting me on an antibiotic since I have something invasive again and I'm glad about that.

The big question for today was had I made a decision on reconstruction. I knew it!  Of course the nurse in me could look ahead and surmise that if I went ahead and started reconstruction this issue would be resolved. I always like to be prepared so that is part of why I tried so hard this week to talk more to Brad about his thoughts. Instead he put me off saying we don't need to decide now. I understand that because that is what we were told. And I wasn't saying we had to decide, I simply want to know his thoughts both ways. All along I have not been on any sort of a time frame, 6 weeks or 6 months it shouldn't matter, I could take my time.  I think after explaining the events of today he better understands why we NEED to have this discussion. If it continues to be a problem I will need to either start reconstruction so they can get in there and stretch out this extra skin that is allowing the fluid to pool ,or my surgeon will have to go in and scrape or "rough up" as he referred to it, the tissue and then use a talc substance to seal it. If he needs to add the talc then that causes issues for reconstruction so it's one or the other. UGH!  I am so not ready to make that decision. He did tell me to get through graduation first which I explained is 4 weeks and open house 6 weeks away. I didn't pinpoint him on what I do in the meantime should this not work. Also, I know the plastic surgeon is booked for about 3 weeks. So I guess I just pray once again that this all works out. I laughed and reminded my doctor that I am very used to bumpy paths as my body does NOTHING textbook. Don't get me wrong, I'm bummed, but it could be worse! I left with the plan of calling in my outputs/drainage on Monday and seeing him Wednesday. Maybe that will be the key, go on a day other than Friday!!!!

I headed out to run the dozen errands I had on my list. Remember the lady in the elevator I mentioned last week in her turban?  Well as I walked out the main entrance she was in a wheel chair.  I promptly walked back in, did a double take and decided it was the same woman. I cried but by gollie I managed to tell her I saw her last week and wanted to tell her I would pray for her but I just couldn't. She was adorable-Elaine is her name and she has ovarian cancer. We talked briefly and agreed to pray for each other. That did it!  I was a blubbering fool when I got back to my truck, but I was so glad I spoke to her. I really do hope that I get to see her again!  God knows her journey is a narrow winding mountain path...at least I'm guessing.

It was a long day but I was determined to get a lot done. I'm doing nothing but running out of time so I try to make each trip to town worthwhile. I had forgotten my camisole at home that holds the drains. Fortunately the wind suit I had on has pockets and the material inside is open so my drains fit in perfectly. I just keep waiting for some store clerk to frisk me thinking I was shop lifting! Now that would make for a good story!
We actually sat and had a family meal then everyone headed out again except me. I'm simply too pooped to pop. :)

No comments: