Through Thick and Thin

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My sister-in-law toted me to the doctor and even stopped so I could grab a fountain Diet Coke!  AHHHHHH!!!!  Brad got off work a bit early and met me there. This was the first visit to the plastic surgeon in which it was clear that three of us were there for the same reason. I started talking with one gal and suddenly it dawned on me that her story was too familiar. I asked her name. Eureka!  She had been my nurse the day of my colonoscopy. I didn't recognize her because while working she had worn a wig and today she was glowing with  a new post chemo do. We laughed as we shared that we each looked familiar. She is now 5 weeks post mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. She shared how very painful her process has been, to the point of nearly dropping her to her knees at times. I told her about my experience the night before and she could completely relate.Today was to be her first fill and she was not at all looking forward to it. She still faces radiation treatments :(   The other gal moved about clearly in pain and had her fanny pack on. Her color was terrible, and I felt soooo sorry for her. She was also 5 weeks post mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. She had experienced a lot of pain, it had eased and now she was to the point of intense pain and needing narcotics again, plus she still had one drain in. She said it's all she can do to get off the couch each day. The poor dear was so frustrated she is ready to tell the doctor to take her back to surgery and remove the expanders. I felt awful for her!

Needless to say their stories were not very encouraging, but I had to applaud them for being honest. If you want to witness true courage and strength pay a visit to an oncology or plastic surgery office. :(   It quickly sheds a lot of light on a situation! Soon it was my turn. The surgeon was thrilled with how everything looked from a surgery standpoint. I told him about my low grade fever Sunday and about the severe pain the night before. He too obviously thought possible blood clot issue as his eyes got big and he started assessing my calves and doing a simple manual blood clot check. Typically blood clots that travel to the lung originate in the legs. He said he thinks probably it was a muscle spasm.  Whatever it was I can live my whole life without it visiting me again!  The plan is to see him back Monday if I think the drains can come our or if I simply have questions or concerns. Otherwise I need to see him later next week. I reminded him about the 7 weeks of drainage I had the last time. He seemed somewhat concerned and again pointed out there was still a small pocket of fluid on one side. For now keeping my fingers crossed that all continues to go smoothly!

Between the painful night and today being my first trip out of the house my butt was kicked. So very appreciative for all the wonderful meals so we could just come home, eat, and find our way to the couch and chair!


No comments: