Through Thick and Thin

Monday, September 17, 2012

Monday, September 17, 2012

Just needed to keep busy today leading up to my Dr. appointment. Had a scratchy throat off and on over the weekend and some post nasal drip. Hoping nothing else is brewing. Don't feel sick so just drinking lots of fluids and keeping up on all my vitamins. I am one of the team moms for soccer so getting ready for Senior night has been a perfect distraction. So much to do so little time.

Finally, the moment of truth! My family doctor is hard to get into but he is the best! He started my visit off by apologizing for the continual health issues that I've had. He was shocked I had pneumonia just before surgery-only me! He then went on to compliment me as a patient. He said I stay on top of things, am well educated, know my body well,  and just keep plugging along time and time again. I shared that this has been an extremely stressful year as this will be my fourth surgery in 14 months. His compliments really mean a lot to me. It's hard to be on the patient end and sometimes being a nurse makes it even harder. I never want to be that "know it all" or demanding patient, but most of all not a non-compliant one. They are the absolute worst! I have taken care of those kinds of patients and it's VERY difficult and makes everyone around them miserable! It's no secret that when people with a medical background are in the patient roll they frequently become what is know as a PIA....pain in the arse!!! He took a lot of time asking questions and doing a very thorough assessment especially of my lungs. He wasn't at all worried about my scratchy throat especially for this time of the year and because there were no red flags on assessment, just a little post nasal drip. He said it was good I recognized the respiratory signs so early and sought treatment. We talked about how severe my acid reflux has been, causing me chest pain and pressure again. He is relatively certain that is a side effect of the z-pack but told me to come back if it persists after surgery.

He gave me a full release for surgery Thursday! I just felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders! As he did his computer documentation he read aloud-clearing me for surgery, offering his services any time they may be needed, and saying my health was currently good. At that point I patted his arm and asked if he was going to add a disclaimer there and reinforce that it was my physical health that is good as some days I'm not so sure about my mental health. He started cracking up and said he'd known me long enough to know I was good to go in that area. The plan is lots of coughing and deep breathing after surgery. I stressed I plan to ask for an incentive spirometer. After past surgeries I haven't always gotten one. They are the dreaded little gadget used to exercise the lungs and help prevent post-op pneumonia. Torture in most people's eyes, but very worth it. He stressed it was a good plan to spend the night, especially now that the pneumonia cropped up. If I have any respiratory symptoms afterwards I'm to call him immediately and he will repeat a chest x-ray.  He couldn't say enough good things about my plastic surgeon so that too was reassuring. Just overall a very positive visit!

I ran into the grocery on my way home and saw an old high school friend. Two years ago she had breast cancer, one breast removed, immediate reconstruction, and chemo. She had  the same surgeon and plastic surgeon that I have and she loved them. She did say she feels I made a great choice to take both breasts and that she really wishes she had.  As so many other women have expressed to me if they had it to do again they would have taken both sides simply to alleviate the stress of wondering if the other side will one day develop cancer. We had a great visit and it was wonderful catching up with her!

Three days and counting!


No comments: