Through Thick and Thin

Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday, September 24, 2012

My first day home alone. A friend from church brought Communion and Father called checking in. Dad and Dianne stopped by too so it was good to see faces. Four walls get a bit confining when you are used to being on the go all the time! Think I've done well.

Was up this morning and decided to go ahead and remove the pain ball/pump and then take a shower. That was rather strange. Because it was inserted so high in my chest it was hard for me to see the insertion point so I stood in front of the mirror and that helped. After removing the dressing I just slowly pulled up towards my chin until the the catheters were free. The black tips were intact as they should be so it was all good. I had no bleeding or drainage and it felt great to be rid of all that apparatus. My other dressings I removed after I got home except the ones around my drains. I clean around those with peroxide daily and place clean dressings.  Same process as before-milk the tubings and empty the drains as needed then record the drainage. Easy process.

Here is the whole pain ball system.  My brother swears it looks like something out of a weird sci-fi movie. I think he may be onto something! The gauze was in the middle of my chest as you saw in the prior post, the tubings and ball were in the fanny pack and the two antennae looking projections above the gauze were fed down into my chest. They were threaded into my chest 10 inches!  It didn't hurt when I removed them but I could feel the resistance and it was a strange feeling. Not for the squeemish that is for sure!

So how about something much more pleasant?  Brad and the kids sent me flowers that arrived Friday after I got home. Lots of pinks of course!  Very beautiful!


No comments: