Through Thick and Thin

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Friday, September 21, 2012

Four hours in surgery yesterday and all went well. There was a lot of scar tissue that needed removed and would you believe he found a small pocket of fluid still there?  My pain was pretty well controlled when I woke but things just weren't right. It's normal to have some side effects from the anesthesia but it is difficult for me to describe how I felt. I had some nausea, my mind and my speech were not coordinating, I couldn't handle anyone even moving around me.  When they had me move from the surgery litter to the bed it was all I could do as my legs were like spaghetti. I just felt numb and like I was not in control.The nurses kept asking if my family could come to see me and I refused for at least 30 min. It was like I couldn't  even turn my head  to look at someone or even keep my eyes open to stare at a blank wall. So very creepy. To be honest the thought of a stroke crossed my mind. I truly felt that awful.  It was well after 8pm until I could talk in complete sentences without my thoughts wandering. I had never had this anesthesiologist and apparently he loaded me up during surgery. It was overwhelming and I  hope I never feel like that again!

The plastic surgeon said  I would have four drains and a pain ball/pump. It was my lucky day because I only ended up with two drains!  This was my seventh surgery and the first time I was ever told I couldn't take a walk the same day. I was allowed up to the restroom.  In this case not walking was a good thing because my sea legs weren't feeling it just yet. 

After my hysterectomy I had some issues with nausea from anesthesia. Therefore the past three surgeries they have given me what is called a scopolamine patch. It's a tiny little transdermal patch that goes behind your ear, a wonder drug for me!  Even with it I had to have some IV medicine to kick the nausea. Fortunately that did the trick and I only needed a one time dose. The patch is flesh colored and the size of  a dot band aid so very discreet and not in the way. It too has several side effects so is only to be left on 2-3 days.

Things were very different as I wasn't running into all the old gang I used to work with, neither of my kids could be there, and I stayed all night but in the surgery center. Brad stayed with me and low and behold I did happen to know one of the two night nurses. I was the only overnight patient and had two nurses so needless to say I was treated like a queen. In the middle of the night my blood pressure dropped to 84/40. This happened last time and is partly why I requested an overnight stay. I received a fluid bolus which worked for awhile then I was right back down to the 80's. After a second bolus my pressure was in an acceptable range. 

Friday morning my doctor came in and explained to me that he saw a lot scar tissue, that the skin on one breast is thinner than the other but it shouldn't be a problem, and that he did find that small pocket of fluid. I was headed home by 8:30 with two drains and a pain ball. 

No comments: