Through Thick and Thin

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

For what started out as a dreary rainy day that had me completely stressed out it certainly ended up being most pleasant. Once again answered prayers!

Spent the day today with a dear family member who was having a full breast work up. Of course we were on pins and needles. I literally was in tears after my shower worrying for her. It probably doesn't sound very believable but I was more stressed for her than I was for me. As I explained to her I went in for routine testing and got the news which was 99% confirmed right then. She was having problems and was sent for a work up by her doctor so there was time in between to worry. Also she has had so many health issues that I just couldn't stand the thought of her having  any more. After two hours of testing she got preliminary good news!  They do want her to see one more doctor just to 100% cover all the bases. Oh what a relief!

My appointment was next and more good news...I got my drains out after 5 weeks!  My totals really were still very debatable hanging right near the 30cc range but since they have been in so long and because of my concerns with an odor that developed in one my plastic surgeon and I agreed that it was time. Although less output than this resulted in more drains and aspirations last time he is hoping that since I don't have empty space but expanders that they will help encourage my body to reabsorb any extra fluid accumulation. Actually, if I have fluid, unless it causes problems, he will not even address it saying that it will simply expand me naturally. The plan is to return next week for my first fill. He will start with 60cc and if I am game he will immediately add another 60 for a 120 total. I could feel my eyes get big and he smiled and his nurse was about to laugh at my eyes. He expects to do 60-120 each week for about 5 weeks depending on how much I tolerate each week. If I tolerate the 120 then of course it will take fewer weeks to reach our goal. After that I will rest for 8 weeks to fully stretch and then the exchange of expanders for implants will follow. Probably not looking at doing that surgery until January if all goes as planned.

I did ask about the difference in size between my right and left chest explaining that I know this is no where near the final product and that I assumed it was just the way the expanders settled in. I was cracking up when he said that at this point he isn't at all concerned about visual size but that they feel the same and he held his hands up to my chest....well gee, much like my husband has done. I was cracking up!

After our appointments we ran some errands and enjoyed visiting and catching up. Once the stressful stuff was behind us we had a most enjoyable afternoon and the sun even came out!

I was so hoping that I could actually sleep in my own bed. I gave it a whirl but unfortunately even without drains it was still too uncomfortable. It's just hard to make a nest with these rock hard expanders. Then you factor in Brad snoring, coughing and speaking in tongues it was a lost cause. When he blurted out "Molly is running around!" Molly being our dog who was peacefully sleeping at the foot of the bed, I called it quits and headed back to the lazy boy. Of course all he remembers is coughing! LOL


No comments: