Through Thick and Thin

Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday, October 1, 2012

It's October and officially breast cancer awareness month. Since I know I've drilled into all of you to get checked out today I would ask you to ask at least two women in your life if they have had their yearly check ups and scheduled their mammograms. By networking we can cover a whole lot more territory. Besides if they schedule now they will get them in before the end of the year and hopefully they will be paid 100%!!!

Great check up this morning with the plastic surgeon. Was a little skeptical about driving myself there but did just fine.  Surgeon says all continues to look great. Soft area on the left side is not fluid build up so maybe just that my skin has gotten used to the stretching and isn't so tight. Still way too much out of my drains. He wants to see me Friday no matter what because he will be out of town all of next week. He was going to just see me on an as needed basis but decided to be extra cautious and I'm good with that. While he's gone my regular surgeon is on call which is awesome should I have any questions because he knows me well. I asked if the pain around the drains that I occasionally experience could be spasms. It only occurred a couple of times the entire time after my mastectomies but has happened several times since this surgery. He confirmed that and said it could also be a small clot trying to pass thru the drain. My activity is as tolerated including lifting so I can gradually increase that. I have asked about any specific exercises but am just to gradually increase my activity. My range of motion is great and has been for some time, maybe a little slow but I can do it!

I finally remembered to ask how much fluid he placed in the expanders during surgery. He said 350cc each side. That's quite a bit so no wonder I was so sore to begin with. I know some women who have only had 150cc. I'm glad though because the expander he used for me holds about 550 but can be overfilled which he commonly does. That means I'm over half way there!  He said it will be up to me when we start fills once the drains are out-I can start right away, can wait a few weeks or can wait months. I am all about one step at a time so just want to focus on getting the drains out.

Last week a distant cousin had bilateral mastectomies and a good friend's mother had her lumpectomy. Both got great news, no lymph node involvement. So relieved for both of them!

Last night Brad's family received some devastating news. One of his young cousins was in a terrible car accident and it was hours until he was discovered. Hypothermia had set in and he had severe injuries. Although he received excellent care at a major trauma center he didn't survive. Once again I am asking for you to keep them in your prayers as it will be a long healing process as they deal with this loss. It's always tough to lose someone but especially someone so young.


No comments: