Through Thick and Thin

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Friday, October 5, 2012

Thursday a dear old friend treated me to lunch and beautiful pink flowers. We visited for over two hours and probably could have sat there all day. So nice to catch up and not be in a hurry.

Today I met a friend from church for lunch. I've mentioned her before as she is battling melanoma. She is doing well and is back to work even while taking weekly treatments. I admire her strength to keep on keeping on even though she gets really worn out. We had a lovely visit. One topic we discussed was some of the walks going on to raise money and awareness for cancer. I told her I particularly liked the idea of the local Carry the Torch walk that just happened. It raises money to help cancer patients with miscellaneous bills, transportation, etc. Sounds like a wonderful program. I told her I particularly was interested because it isn't specific to any certain kind of cancer. She commented how it's breast cancer awareness month and sometimes she thinks, "Where is my day for melanoma?"  I couldn't agree with her more!  The support I feel by just going out in the community and seeing all the pink really helps to lift your spirits! I am sure I would feel the same way!

We ate at Panera and the ordering counter was decked out in pink, a counter was set up with free information, pink balloons were tied outside. Downtown they lit the local bridge with pink lights and turned the fountains pink. Pink ribbon clothing and accessories are available in stores all over town. Our high school had a breast cancer volleyball game and does the same for basketball. Our football players had on quite a bit of pink and professional teams are doing the same. It's awesome to see the awareness raised and I find those things to be very supportive. However it kind of breaks my heart knowing there are so many out there suffering from other kinds of cancers and they don't get to experience that kind of support. As I told her I think so much of that stems from the statistics since breast cancer affects 1 in 8 women. At any rate it certainly makes me more aware to be supportive of those that I know who have other types of cancer and that's even more why I want to continue to support events like Relay for Life. Everyone should feel the love!

My appointment got bumped as my doctor was tied up in surgery. Fortunately I got the message so just hung out at the mall. There was just one other gal and I in the waiting room at first. We struck up conversation and she shared that she had just had a complete hysterectomy and bilateral mastectomies while in her early thirties all because she carries the gene. She has no cancer yet, did all of that to prevent it. The poor dear. She said she has just finished her reconstruction but not without complications. At one point she mentioned her sister has had 17 surgeries, I am guessing also for the same reasons but we didn't get that far before I was called back.

All looks great for me. Stay the course, keep the drains in and see him back in about 10 days as he will be out of town all of next week.If my drainage drops enough I can pull the drains. As I left I saw the gal who I saw at the first of the week who was so frustrated. She is still having complications but it was good to see that she was much more upbeat this week. I was feeling horrible for her last week.

I left and as I headed to the elevator I heard someone running. The first gal I had spoken with came running to catch me to invite me to a Face Book  group she is part of. She said she has kind of been private about her experience but likes this group because it's a closed group and offers her a lot of support. Also because she has had complications she doesn't want for her story to scare others about the whole experience. I swear I could just sit and visit with these women for hours. You learn so much! To me it is very comforting to be able to offer each other support and to learn from one another. As I drove home I shed a few tears. Every time I speak with these women it truly reinforces how spoiled and fortunate I am. I know that many of them don't have near the support that I have experienced. It also confirms that although my journey has had it's bumps in the road really it has not been bad at all. Again, the feeling of guilt kicked in an my tears were for those much less fortunate than me.

In the midst of my day I received a text from another gal I know. She is doing great as she's over half way through her radiation treatments. I guess it was just sort of a cancer survivor networking sort of a day!

Like crazy fools Brad and I bundled up and went to Brody's football game. It was pouring and so cold and windy. It was less than an appealing plan but I couldn't stand the fact that I had either had pneumonia or was too fresh after surgery to go to any of his games. I had not yet even seen my son in his uniform. Although it was miserable I am so glad we went! He looks quite handsome in all his gear!

No comments: