Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday, August 28, 2012

Monday was another cancer support group meeting. I was so excited to see new faces!!! I know I have worked hard spreading the word to those who may be interested. Within the last week a high school classmate shared she has been diagnosed with a rare form of uterine cancer. She started her chemo on Monday. Of course she's on the prayer list! I called in prayer petitions to church and all 5 were for people suffering from cancer. When you think of all the diseases mankind suffers from that is simply unheard of! We enjoy sharing our stories, thoughts and our fears, as well as all the things we have learned. The best part is that we know we are not alone!

Today was the follow up at the dermatologist and suture removal. I must say she did a great job as I have healed perfectly and the scaring will be very minimal. More answered prayers  as the pathology results showed no melanoma!  That was a big relief. You can ask just about any cancer survivor and they will tell you that their single biggest fear is another cancer diagnosis. Some have told me that they suffer great anxiety before each follow-up, each mammo, each scan. That's certainly understandable. It was certainly in the back of my mind.  Not only because of family history but I was worried it could possibly mess up my plan for reconstruction. I must say I did make one decision. If it was melanoma I was telling no one until Brad got home from his fishing trip with his dad and other family. I wanted him to be able to leave Saturday morning with nothing but relaxing thoughts and plans to destress. Fortunately I don't have to deal with keeping that secret until next week! Whew!

What my pathology actually did show was dysplastic nevi or atypical mole.  Sounds harmless and completely benign but in reality raises big red flags. The cells were actively changing, that is why the border of the mole looked different. She took a large area under the assumption it was malignant so as to get clear borders. Even with the dysplastic nevi she would have gone back for more had my margins/borders not been normal. So what is the big concern? My dad has had melanoma on his ear and an aunt on my mom's side had it also. I have been told I now need to start monthly mole checks and continue the yearly full body checks and get in immediately for any changes. Because I have family history of two or more relatives with melanoma and have had a biopsy positive for dysplastic nevi I am at an extremely high risk for melanoma.  (With no family history the risk is anywhere from 7-27% higher than the average populations chance of having a melanoma.) I did not ask how much higher my risks are since I have had one cancer diagnosis already. Quite frankly I didn't want to know! As I told my siblings tonight "I am quite a healthy specimen!" LOL

Just a quick note on what to look for-The ABCDE's
A= asymetry  If you could cut the mole in half both sides should look equal. If they don't beware
B=borders s Irregular uneven borders are a problem
C=Color  Variety of color or change in color is a warning
D= Diameter  sMost melanomas are larger in diameter than the end of a pencil eraser but can be smaller
E= Evolving Any change is a cause for concern size, shape, color, elevation or any other trait like pain, bleeding, itching

SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN, No tanning beds and frequent checks are the biggest ways to prevent skin cancers of any kind.

Just form personal experience I would suggest seeing a dermatologist and not just a family doctor. They have a trained eye and see these things every day. Also they document each ares, measure them and take photos. Most family doctors do not go into such detail. It's painless and worth the peace of mind!

One more thing crossed off my list of cancer screenings. Now I can continue to move towards reconstruction. The countdown is on...21 days!  Man I have a lot to accomplish before then!




No comments: