Through Thick and Thin

Friday, August 3, 2012

Wednesday, August 1st

Well I survived the prep and as usual the procedure was a breeze!  Colonoscopy complete and no areas of concern seen. I had just cleared another hurdle.  Honestly I wasn't really worried but it was still a relief to know I got the "all clear".

Kinsey had the day off and took me to the surgery center so Brad wouldn't have to miss work again. As chance would have it the nurse prepping me is fighting breast cancer. Bless her heart!  Had we not chatted I would have never noticed she was wearing a wig. It looked so beautiful and natural. She shared her story and once again I am counting my blessings. Lumpectomy, 24 nodes removed, chemo, going for bilateral mastecomies and reconstruction and also needs radiation...the works! The poor dear! One would never know what she has battled-so sweet, outgoing and oh so strong and positive!!! We swapped stories then I was whisked off to the procedure room. There my new nurse asked if I knew the doctor very well who was performing the procedure. I laughed sharing that I just "kind of " knew him as he had removed my breasts in April  We both laughed and she shared that many of the women coming through know him that way. I noted the pink ribbon on her scrubs and asked if it was for the other nurse. Sure enough it was. So good to see her peers supporting her!

My doctor entered and asked what was new. I briefly shared that I had seen the plastic surgeon and was still deliberating. He reviewed my family history and was appalled that my dad had colon cancer in his sixties, still fairly young, and that no one had ordered a colonoscopy on him prior to that but that he had requested it after learning about colon cancer awareness month. He patted my hand and assured me that I was going to have no issues and therefore we would not need to be having any further cancer discussions. He was right.

In the past I have come home and slept off the drugs then gone on with my day. This time I was much more subdued. I slept over 3 hours and then sat around all day just feeling exhausted. It was a good day to just hang out and read so that's exactly what I did.

The last thing to cross off my list is the mole removal. Can't remember if I shared but I did get that appointment moved up so it will happen later this month. That one concerns me a bit due to  Dad's history of melanoma. The basal cell cancer history with him and my grandma are not nearly as alarming but of course I am hoping for an all clear here as well. For now I am just trying to enjoy the last bit of time before my kids go back to school. Have I mentioned lately how much I dislike August??? :)







No comments: