Through Thick and Thin

Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 11, 2012


As I sat on the back porch enjoying the gorgeous cooler weather I thought about how blessed I am to feel good and have so much of this journey behind me. I'm not much of a poet but every once in awhile I like to put a pen to paper. This little poem expresses some feelings and experiences I have had and some that others have shared with me through their journeys.

"You have cancer"
Three simple words evoking so much fear
"How did this happen?" I ask
Shedding a tear

"Why me God?"
"What did I do?"
I know nothing about cancer
I don't have a clue

Anxious, overwhelmed
Angry, sad, alone
Some of these emotions
I have never known

Picking up the pieces
I try to move along
Some days and sometimes
It's tough to stay strong

The waiting, for some
Seems the hardest part
Not knowing the options
Or even where to start

My faith is strong
And carries me through
Along with family and friends
Because that's what they do

God is good!
He'll show me the way
I'm strong and courageous
This cancer will pay!

And so it begins...
X-rays, biopsies, procedures and tests
Great faith in the doctors
They are the best!

Finally! A plan
Surgery, radiation, chemo
The process is in motion
Yet is seems so very slow

Days, weeks, and months
Slowly the time has passed
My life is forever changed
But it's good news at last!

CANCER FREE!!!
Suddenly I'm full of sass
There's nothing better
Than kicking'cancer's ass!!!

I am hoping that as you read this you know that anything is possible with positive thoughts, God, and supporters by your side. My cancer has had a positive outcome. Not so for many that I know. Some have a terminal diagnosis, some are facing it for the third and fourth time. But I believe there are miracles and that they are only possible if we believe in them. So no matter what the story for you or your loved one, you can overcome!

No comments: