Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thursday, August 9

Yikes, a week and a day until we move Kinsey into college! Say it isn't so :(  Think we have most everything in place for the move, except my emotions of course. Just the next phase of parenthood I guess.

So proud of Brody. He has been busting his tail at two a day soccer practices in this heat. He was working out on his own before conditioning started. Thank goodness because it is almost more than he can take. So proud of him for all the hard work, for getting himself there on time, and for even washing his own stinky clothes. That is a double bonus for mom! I just hate seeing my kids miserable and quite honestly I think there are ways to get kids in shape without such torture. I don't agree with it but then no one ever asked my opinion. Fortunately for the boys the last one is tomorrow. Yippee!!!

I finally gave up waiting on Brad to plan an evening, or anything for that matter, for just the two of us. After all, I have been very patient since my official diagnosis in February.  I booked a campsite and last weekend we went camping without the kids. We did nothing exciting, just relaxed, ate some super healthy food that the kids won't eat, and visited with friends and family that were camping there or staying nearby. It was wonderful! Apparently we need to do that more often because it rained an inch and 7/10 at our house while we were gone. Amazing!

Some of you may have heard of "chemo brain".  Well as you can tell by the  name it is associated with patients receiving chemo. However, I think that I can attest that you don't have to be going through chemo to suffer from it. Tonight was a perfect example. Brody called me a little after 7 in a panic wanting to know where I was for the parent soccer meeting. I almost panicked. Well gee Brody, your ever so organized mom completely forgot about it!  Grrr! I felt horrible!!! And to boot I am one of the soccer moms!  Oh yes, epic fail! Fortunately the other mom is more in charge of communication and had all the paperwork ready to hand out at the meeting. I am more the decoration, event planning part of the operation. Unfortunately that didn't make me feel any less awful! :(

While camping I learned of yet another member of our church with a new cancer diagnosis, another melanoma. Fortunately it sounds like the prognosis is good and he should be in great shape for his daughter's wedding in a few weeks. Whew! Tomorrow a friend who had a mastectomy two weeks after mine is undergoing surgery again. She has decided to have the other breast removed and do reconstruction. I spoke with her today and she's all fired up and ready to go. I'm very excited for her to finally get all this behind her and be able to move on. She was very positive and encouraging to talk to. We have the same surgeon and plastic surgeon so a lot in common. I've been praying for both of these folks but will be saying some extra prayers for her tomorrow for sure.

In the meantime I keep pondering and leaning more towards the idea of reconstruction for me. To be continued.....


No comments: