Through Thick and Thin

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Well I did try to post yesterday, surgery day, but my computer simply wouldn't co-operate. Managed to have a few days headache free. Which by the way, the Dr. and I decided to wait out any medication adjustments until after surgery to see if it was simply stress related migraines. Seemed very reasonable and I was good with that. Also spoke with him about my migraine med lowering my BP and asked if it would be fair enough to hold it the morning of the surgery since my BP tends to drop. He said that was a great plan.

My Dad and his fiance', my sister, and mother-in-law all joined me for surgery.. I sat to check in and the receptionist commented, " This isn't your first rodeo is it?"  I was cracking up so told her I expected she had my insurance card memorized and my name in lights on the surgery suite. She added, "Flashing lights!"  Well, no lights but I did get my very own private room with plenty of chairs for family instead of the regular cubicle.with just curtains. Heck for all I know I probably paid for that room! haha

" All is well that ends well" and this ended well!  Surgery got started about an hour late. Love my anesthesiologist. She was very attentive about my experiences post-op last time and went all through my chart. She had done at least one of my other surgeries so compared her notes to the last doctor's. Only difference was he used Morphine and she used Demerol. I have had both in the past so that should not have been a factor. She really feels that my last surgery was so long that simply being sedated for several hours was likely the cause of my dissociation-my mind and my speech not working together. My sister even chimed in and explained how I really did act as though I had had a small stroke and that I was so afraid I refused to see my family for awhile until I had answers.   Don't know the exact length of this surgery as my doctor went on to the next case while I was in recovery before talking to us. Seems it was near two hours plus time in recovery. He did not have problems with scar tissue,  there was almost no blood loss, and they gave me extra fluids to help prevent low blood pressure. My pressure did get below 100 before I left so hopefully it won't drop any further. No nausea thanks to preparing for that and for the scopolamine patch-my true friend! Just feel really tired.

I managed a quick nap once home. Brody, Brad and Kinsey all rolled in shortly there after. Needless to say it was a rough day for Brad but we kept him updated all along. He brought me home the most beautiful card and wrote a very special message inside.  Later in the evening I just felt very restless. Went to bed for a few hours but I'm back up now piddling.

Of course had to wear my pink today. Our little nephew Hayden gave me the beautiful scarf for Christmas so of course it was a must!  One of the nurses came walking out before I was called back and gave me a thumbs up saying "I love it."  Had my pink bags for clothes and as my purse too. A good friend from high school posted this shirt of Face Book after I said I had heard of it. Am thinking that's my motto!



I am to see my plastic surgeon in one to two weeks as follow up. For now I have minimal dressing on and the mesh around my chest to hold it in place like I did in the past. It seems the end result looks pretty good already. He went back in the same incision line but only made the cut about half the length of the last two times. I am on prophylactic antibiotics and feel that is a great thing just to help prevent any infection. Some of my scars were healing quite nicely. I did use mederma on them so maybe that helped. Those are the least of my worries since I don't really see them anyway. Never thought I would say this but I can't wait to be ready to buy new bras. After all I do have that Victoria Secret gift card burning a whole in my pocket. 

And although this comment is a little disturbing I simply have to share what my sis-in-law said. She was asking about these final steps. I told her I wasn't saying never but at this point I didn't want my "points" back. Meaning I'm not doing the nipple surgery or the tatoo.  Keep in mind we were texting and in a split second I get, "Wouldn't a raisin and one of those circle bandaids do just fine??? I was absolutely rolling. The things some folks have come up with throughout this process absolutely crack me up!


One again I want to take a moment to thank everyone for the texts, calls, FB messages and emails! They are so important in helping me stay positive. And the humor you all share plays a key part as well. I sat tonight and wrote a poem thanking everyone. I will be using it at the pink party I will be throwing this spring to thank my biggest supporters. Will also post it on here eventually. Couldn't have made it without prayers and support!

No comments: