Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spent some time this week following up with some fellow survivors. A high school classmate who I have spoken of before is still undergoing radiation treatments for uterine cancer.  Her goal is to have those completed by her birthday in February. That would make for an amazing birthday present for her!  Another friend has taken a big step and has learned how to administer her own weekly injections. I'm so proud of her! That just isn't in everyone's comfort zone.  Monday a nurse friend will also be receiving her implant. We can't wait to both be healed up enough to go have lunch and celebrate together.  These gals are doing well and like me are hoping to move forward and make 2013 a much better year.

My good friend Lana had a friend pass away in her 30's from melanoma. Although I never met Leontien I  read her blog and felt like I knew her. I prayed for her and kept updated on her illness through Lana. The poor dear was buried on her 34th birthday and just a couple of days before her 5th wedding anniversary. Her story is one of love, strength, and courage. You read it and simply can't understand why such horrible things happen to such good people. Her words inspired many. Lana was good enough to share some tidbits I had missed along the way. I just thought I would pass them along so you too can be inspired by them.



TEN WAYS TO LOVE
1.  Listen without interrupting - Proverbs 18:13
2.  Speak without accusing - James 1:19
3.  Give without sparing - Proverbs 21:26
4.  Pray without ceasing - Colossian 1:9
5.  Answer without arguing - Proverbs 17:1
6.  Share without pretending - Ephesians 4:15
7.  Enjoy without complaint - Philippians 2:14
8.  Trust without wavering - I Corinthians 13:7
9.  Forgive without punishing - Colossians 3:13
10. Promise without forgetting - Proverbs 13:12

If you haven't discovered Leontien's Blog, Four Leaf Clover Tales, I hope you will take the time to get to know her and listen to the voice in her words. Start with her first entry on April 15, 2010, and read.  You don't want to miss all the lessons she has to share with you.  It's a beautiful story about life.

Finally, one of Leontien's favorite phrases she lived by:

"I can be changed by what happens to me.
  But I refuse to be reduced by it"
                                                                                                 ~Maya Angelou


As I think about the journey of these amazing women I remember that God gave us all these crosses to bear for a reason. Although I have felt completely drained these past two weeks from the stress in my personal life, I know there is a reason for it. I firmly believe that taking charge of the things we can control helps keep us strong and confident.  I have tried to do that to the best of my ability.  I have no fear and really no worries about this surgery at all, am just ready to have it completed. Today I tried to cross things off my list and take a little time for some relaxing. My normal pre-op routine includes getting groceries, doing laundry, and cleaning. I made dinner for tomorrow night and put a couple other goodies in the fridge. I  got my hair highlighted and the toesies are done in bright pink with sparkles. To finish unwinding I took a nice long Jacuzzi bubble bath. AHHHH!  Looking forward to  a good night's sleep before hopefully the final stop on this crazy year long journey. As I crawl into bed I will reflect on Leontien's words and know that although her journey ended differently than mine, we strangers shared a common bond. She has taught me a lot!


No comments: