Through Thick and Thin

Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday, January 28, 2013

Surgery was Friday and Senior day for our girls basketball team was Saturday. I had already told my niece/Goddaughter that I wouldn't be able to make it. Had scheduled my surgery so I could be there then they changed the celebration date. I was so bummed. Well, I surprised even myself. Slept in Saturday and felt pretty darn good. Very minimal pain and no drainage what so ever. I took it slow and showered then rested awhile. Still felt fine so surprised family and friends when I showed up at the ball game. A friend's daughter spotted me first and told Cassidy I was there. She came running off the court during warm ups to give me a big sweaty hug and thank me for coming. That made the trip worth it!  Came home for a bit and even made it to church and fixed a nice dinner. But that was it I called it a day!

Sunday I did some scrapping and laid around most of the day. Really amazing how little pain is associated with this surgery. I am not even using dressings, just wearing a sports bra for a little support. I think the result looks good!  Way softer and more natural that's for sure. I am certain I have fluid build up in the right side. I can't see it or even actually palpate it but with a quick movement it can be heard-a sort of sloshing noise. Very weird!  Brad even heard it.

I called and got my post-op appointment set for next week and mentioned the fluid sound. I am hoping it will reabsorb on it's own and not cause any problems. For now everything looks symmetrical and I am not having any problems. My surgeon isn't worried unless it causes discomfort, drainage, etc.

A few days before surgery I received sort of a "wake up" call if you will. It doesn't just seem that I have lived in the hospital and doctors' offices, I really have. My insurance company had reviewed all my claims and called offering me some "extra services" if I qualified. They were very vague and said  they needed to do a brief questionnaire if I thought I might be interested. I agreed. Well right out of the gate I knew where it was going. Having asked the same types of things of my own patients in the past I was well aware they were screening me for depression and suicidal thoughts or tendencies. Well I failed their test, in a good way!  That meaning my answers did not indicate that I was experiencing or at risk for either. In some ways it was kind of odd having someone follow up on me for such issues. However I must say that I am very glad to know that my insurance is proactive in this area and is trying to get treatment for their clients who may need it. I have always said that our healthcare system fails miserably in the area of mental health so it's good to know my provider is on top of things.

My friend had her surgery this morning and sent me a message that she was home already and resting fine. Am anxious to talk to her and compare notes. So glad it's behind both of us!

Am just hanging out at home today. Did walk on the treadmill, just 3/4 of a mile so as not to overdo it. Pulling dinner out of the freezer and going to do a bit more scrapping. Scrapping is great therapy for me so I'm just going to head to the basement on this dreary winter day, turn on some music and scrap away! This evening is our Cancer Support Group meeting with a guest speaker. I can't wait to hear her. We took a break over the holidays, and I am quite ready to get back into the monthly meetings. What a wonderful outlet this group has been. Really hoping we can continue to grow in size and help others along their journeys!

No comments: