Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thursday, January 31, 2013

First I want to thank my cousin Megan for sharing with me a very moving video. At first it seemed too graphic and maybe even too emotional to share with all of you. However, after serious consideration, I decided I shouldn't be the one to decide if you watch this video or not. You all should make that decision. I will warn you it's not for the faint of heart. The emotion is strong and the photos are very graphic of the physical scars that can be left behind. I know of women who have faced not just one, not just three, but 15-18 surgeries in order to get through what should have been a fairly uncomplicated breast cancer. Things so often don't go as we plan. This video is testimony of that and I found it overwhelmingly moving for so many reasons.

1.  The courage it took this woman to share her story as well as her photos detailing how disfiguring cancer can be
2.  The desire she has to share so that other women out there know they are not alone
3.  The incredible strength it must take to understand that cancer can only take so much from a person-it can't take your spirit unless you let it!
4.  Our society focuses on perfect beauty and why?  This woman doesn't feel the need to hide behind wigs, or make up or prosthetics, she simply wants to be herself. She simply wants to touch lives.
5.  And lastly, I find it truly inspiring that her husband of just 6 months choose to be an incredible pillar in her journey.

As I watched this video I cried and cried for so many reasons. The sad reality is that many women have had a much bumpier road than I. Some are open about it and some keep silent in their struggles. NO ONE deserves to go through a cancer journey, no matter how non-complicated it may be, by themselves. I am amazed at how many muddle through feeling alone or abandoned. Setbacks, infections, and physical scars are horrible. However I am a firm believer that none are as damaging as the emotional scars left behind.  They don't just affect the person with the diagnosis, they also affect their loved ones. As I have said before, sometimes the loved ones fall through the cracks. That is why I have tried so hard to offer my husband in particular, outlets and resources to help him deal as well. It is still my goal to get him to share some of his thoughts and feelings throughout this past year. Please, if you are not too faint of stomach or heart, take a few minutes to watch this story of undying determination and love!



1 comment:

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

cameronvsj(at)gmail.com