Through Thick and Thin

Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday, July 9, 2012

Due to my significant family history of skin cancer, my Grandma and my dad, I have been having full body skin/mole checks for several years.  And let me tell you, they are full body!  Fortunately the new little areas I have noticed are all nothing to worry about. However there is one area on my back that my doctor is concerned with and really wants it removed. A few years ago she did a scraping of a suspicious area and it turned out fine. This will be an actual excision/in office surgery. She has agreed to wait until September so I can get through the summer months without stitches in my back so that was good. I'd like to try to enjoy a couple more trips to the lake before then.

After I got home I decided to make the call to get my colonoscopy scheduled as well. The gal in scheduling was tied up so hopefully I can get that booked tomorrow. That should then take care of all the preventative procedures I should need until my yearly ob/gyn visit which I think is not due til December. Just really wanting to get all this "to do" stuff crossed off my list. Not gonna lie I am beyond sick of doctor visits and know I have two more yet this month.

It was quite frightening talking with my dermatologist today. She was asking about my breast cancer and reconstruction. She strongly suggested that no matter what I decide that I get all loose ends tied up within two years thanks to the advent of socialized medicine that will gradually be being implemented. She is not happy about the changes our lovely government has brought about and stressed things will become much more difficult and insurance will likely no longer pay for many things which it does now. That is all so frustrating to me as a nurse and as a patient.

My dad has a history of two types of skin cancer and colon cancer. One of his doctors ordered a PET scan just to thoroughly check things out due to his age and huge cancer history. His insurance wouldn't pay it. Fortunately he is vet so he tried the VA. They were glad to take care of it and I'm happy to report he got a clean bill of health.  It's miserable when your doctor wants something done, your insurance won't pay, and you can't afford to foot 100% of the bill so you sit and worry yourself to death. So glad that it worked out for my dad!

Don't forget to book your yearly physicals, a colonoscopy if you are 50 or older (younger if you have a family history), and a full body skin cancer evaluation. All such easy things to do and great for early detection of potential problems!

No comments: