Through Thick and Thin

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Monday, July 2, 2012

While working one of my odd jobs I got a phone call from someone- I will just call her Bubbles-one because she is a very bubbly outgoing person, and two because both her "bubbles" have been lost to breast cancer. Since she likes to find humor in her situation I'm sure she won't mind!  She had breast cancer nearly 20 years ago and underwent treatments at that time. Not long before my diagnosis she found out she had cancer in the remaining breast. This time early detection spared her from chemo and radiation. In the midst of her workup it was determined she carried one of the BRCA genes. This greatly complicated things as besides a mastectomy she would need to have the ovaries removed.( Remember if carrying the BRCA gene most doctors suggest this surgery to help prevent ovarian cancer.) Both surgeries went well and this time around she decided to reconstruct. Not long ago I called checking in on her but had to just leave a message. She returned my call today.

It seems a dark cloud just keeps hanging over us. You know, just the stupid little stuff that adds up and becomes annoying, then the bigger things. The last two weeks it just hasn't stopped. Today's news broke the storm clouds loose. The pathology from her surgery showed cancer in the Fallopian tube.  Really??? Can't this poor dear get a break?!!! I tried so hard to fight back the tears. Good thing we were on the phone because I didn't want her to know I was sobbing, not that that is a bad thing but because she had been through the tears and now was very upbeat. Fortunately she had a lot of talking to do so I kinda covered the phone and wiped my tears hoping she couldn't hear me. My heart was broken for her. Now she starts a whole new work up and has set yet another surgery date, this time to remove the rest of the female parts. Already she knows she needs chemo but until surgery is complete the doctors won't be able to stage the cancer.

This woman truly amazes me. So little but mighty!  I just want for half her strength and courage. Having cancer not once, not twice, but three times...now that stinks!!!  But in her true optimistic fashion she has found a silver lining. Had she not had a recent breast cancer she may have not been tested for the BRCA gene. Had she not been tested she would still have her ovaries and tubes and the cancer would be continuing to grow. Yep, that's a silver lining. Ovarian is one of the single most difficult cancers to detect and treat.

It seems now all I can really do is pray and ask all of you to keep Bubbles in your prayers as well. I don't really know how many my blog reaches but I know most of you are praying people and that means that her odds of beating cancer a third time are really good. So please join me in lifting up Bubbles in your prayers. I know she would greatly appreciate it!


No comments: