Through Thick and Thin

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, 2012

Got my appointment out of the way Friday with my migraine doctor. He increased my medicine so we'll see if that helps. So far no improvement. I told him I was sure it was stress related. I really hate when doctors blame things on stress but this is one time that it seems a very fair diagnosis. I explained what all had transpired since my last visit 6 months ago and even he was taken aback.

Last weekend did prove to be pretty relaxing. A bit cooler temps and a camping trip with some great old friends. My sisters boat was a welcomed treat as we hung out on the water for hours and hours. Brody took a friend and all four boys in the group had a great time! We were able to have a small fire and temps cooled so it was perfect camping/boating weather. Ahhhh!

Monday was the July support group meeting. My friend from church joined us and was very excited to announce she would be returning to work this week. She looked awesome!  A dietitian was our guest and  focused on healthy eating and introduced us to the newest approach. Instead of the food pyramid the plate is the newest teaching tool. It seems an easy concept, especially for children to better comprehend balanced eating. She showed us a divided, colorful plate with areas sectioned off showing portion sizes for fruits, veggies, etc.We did some fun activities and our fearless leader made us some delicious strawberry smoothies!!! I'm really enjoying this group :)

Next week will be a big one. Monday I see the plastic surgeon. Brad surprised me by coming home from work and actually offering to discuss reconstruction. I was in shock as this was a first for him. The general consensus between us was we neither know what to think. I'm still very concerned about infection risks due to my history. Part of me would like to try it but I'm just so worried. I think at this point it's going to depend how well the surgeon can sell the idea! LOL  We just need to meet with him and review everything now with a clearer mind knowing I am cured.

Wednesday I am delighted to say I have a colonoscopy. I've had lots of questions as to why. There are several reasons:
-my dad had colon cancer therefore my screenings started at 40 instead of the recommended 50
-it's been five years since my last one
-I am now a cancer survivor and colon and breast cancer do show some correlation
-I have a first cousin (maternal side) who had colon cancer at 48- along with all the breast cancer on that side of the family
-I have lots of bowel issues ( I know, I know, too much information! )
-my oncologist suggested I have one due to all the above

Yippy Skippy!  I can hardly wait!  Hopefully everything comes out OK! haha


No comments: