Through Thick and Thin

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Been a series of crummy dreary days here. Stomach flu over the weekend, the allergic reaction to my eye lids persists and this week progressed under my eyes so yet another doctor visit. Yes, it 's safe to say I look a good 20 years older than my age because of the dry skin and wrinkling it's caused. And this hormonal weather is really something else. Despite all that we are trying to stay positive and look forward to spring.

We've really tried to focus on making more time to spend together. We spent a big day out of town at the Boat Sport and Travel show recently. So much fun!  Made it home in time to watch our very talented niece in a basketball tourney. Last night I once again offered for Brad to join me at the cancer support group meeting. After declining in the past this time he said yes! The topic was stress and our guest speaker showed us about 10 tools to help us relax-meditation, concentration, and stretching. I found it very helpful. It was one of our best attended meetings so far. My take was the techniques were very helpful to Brad. However when we left he said they didn't do a thing for him. I have a feeling he would say a cold beer and the Lazy Boy would have worked better. :) At any rate I was thrilled he joined me and one of the other gals really gave him kudos for being there.

It was a big night for one friend as she openly addressed the stage of her cancer and some of her plans. I'm quite sure it was a difficult thing to do and it made me so sad knowing her prognosis is not the same as for many of us. I think it was good for Brad to be surrounded by 8 of us at differing stages of the disease and treatment process. I'm certain it was completely out of his comfort zone though so simply attending was a big thing for him. I can't tell you how important it was for me. I certainly don't expect him to attend regularly but certain topics are much more geared towards family and care givers.

It's very exciting to talk about some of our upcoming speakers, and we are planning to recognize two months this spring that are dedicated to cancer awareness. Before we know it Relay For Life will be upon us. I have officially registered my team Camping Out for a Cure. That's as far as I've gotten so far. Really looking forward to that event.

Had lunch yesterday with an old friend and co-worker. We have been on our journeys together this past year. It was a wonderful time catching up and swapping stories. She really looks great! It's always good to talk with those who know first hand what the experience is really all about because they truly understand all aspects of the process and can relate to your experiences and feelings. Just good ole' "girl chat"!


No comments: