Through Thick and Thin

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tonight Kinsey and I attended a Lions Club meeting in my home town where she and several other grads were awarded scholarships provided by a Lions project  Cans for College. It was also Ladies' night for the wives of the members.  The men did a bang up job of hosting a nice dinner, providing a guest speaker and honoring the grads. Kinsey knew several of the men because we have volunteered with their group for several years. It was Hoosier hospitality at it's best.

At the end of the event some of the Lions came to me offering their support, letting me know they had been and were continuing to pray for me. It was quite moving. Speaking about breast cancer certainly is no longer taboo but it's nice to know that even in the presence of a men's organization, they feel OK acknowledging it. As always I thanked each of them and assured them that I really do still need their prayers. One actually told me he had followed me on Face Book. I'm sure several are aware of my surgery through my dad who is also a member. However it was they knew, it was comforting to know how much they cared.

It's not my intention to live and breathe breast cancer. Obviously I'm open about it and telling my story is very much a part of my healing process, but I don't want it to consume my life. I'm quite moved when someone wants to know my story, offers support, or has a story of their own to share. However, I would caution any woman diagnosed with breast cancer or person supporting her not to become consumed by the disease. I have read several books throughout my journey, all of them have had something very beneficial to offer, but sometimes enough is enough. Even the good, positive stories can be too much and you just need a break. Balancing the knowledge seeking, therapeutic conversations, support groups, good reads etc can become a real juggling act. Should someone approach you and ask how you are doing there is nothing wrong with a simple answer and stating you don't want to talk about it at the moment but maybe at another time. So far I have not been in a situation where I wasn't able to talk about my diagnosis and treatment, but at some point women do get "talked out." We all need a break from reality every once in awhile so I'm encouraging my fellow   breast cancer survivors just to be aware that you are in control.  Well wishers will certainly understand if it's just not a good time.

No comments: