Through Thick and Thin

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday, June 23, 2012

So much for recuperating after Kinsey's party. It has been a full week but we have accomplished a lot!
Today we will wind up a month of grad parties and then can look forward to our local Relay for Life this coming Friday.


Tuesday we spent all day in Indianapolis with Kinsey at UIndy for her registration/orientation. It was a good day for all of us and the campus is lovely.  Hard to believe she is officially a Greyhound  :) From there we stopped to look at trucks for Brody in Lafayette then work called me to come in. That was a L O N G day!


Spent the day Thursday with cousins at the pool then they spent the night. They ranged from 3-13. What a hoot! Friday was Brody's big day. We finally located a truck that works for him and he couldn't be prouder! He did so well researching and weighing his options. He joined us for part of the loan process so it was a good learning experience too.




Friday was also a follow up appointment with my surgeon. Things are still going well. We discussed my need for a colonoscopy. He didn't want to alarm me but suggested I do that before any further surgery be it removing the extra tissue or placing expanders. That way just in case there is a problem it can be addressed before moving on. I asked if he would do the surgery to remove extra skin or if he would refer me to the plastic surgeon. He is able to do it but suggested I see the plastic surgeon. That's fine with me as I have an appointment with plastics set for the end of July. I just really need to talk in depth with him about my infection concerns and the time frame as I really want to have everything finished by the end of the year if possible no matter which path I choose.


I can say that the look of the prostheses is not bothering me but I do have to be careful what I wear in the summer months.  Normally if a tank top or blouse is cut a little low it's no big deal, you may just see curves. For me though it's craters so I have to be very careful. I had not yet ordered a swim top when we decided to take little cousins to the pool. That was a serious challenge. My inserts were too heavy to put in my suit as the bras sewn in are not sewn at the bottom so they could fall out. I tried my bra under my suit tops but of course it stuck out too much.  I decided to use the soft inserts that came with my camisoles because they were light weight. They stayed in place fairly well but wanted to ride up.  I just had to rely on Kinsey to let me know if I needed to "re-adjust" at any point. I didn't get clear in the water, just stayed in the shallow end as I knew they wouldn't fair well getting wet. Needless to say the first thing I did when I got home was to order a swim suit top! We plan to go to the lake in July so I really need something that is comfortable and that I don't have to keep messing with. Our friends would understand if I went without my prostheses but I just wouldn't feel very comfortable doing that. 


While we were in Indy the American Cancer Society called me. They said they had no record of a volunteer ever making connections with me. I confirmed and they apologized saying they would get me set up as soon as possible. Later in the week I got a call saying that a volunteer would be calling me very soon. I am really anxious to talk to her about reconstruction! Hopefully the first of the week I will get a call!








No comments: