Through Thick and Thin

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

So, do you all remember me posting along the way some tidbits about someone I referred to as "Bubbles"? Well "Bubbles" is my cousin Mike's wife Roberta, or Bert as we all know her. You may or may not remember that she is a three time cancer survivor and has been so very helpful to me along my cancer journey. Well not long ago Bert and her doctor were featured on an Indianapolis TV station newscast sharing her story and trying to educate others on the BRCA genetic testing and it's significance. Bert has enlightened me a lot about carrying "the gene" as BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genes have come to be known.

Bert's story is so fascinating to me but it's really interesting because it's cousins in her family who are linked. Bert and I are not blood, I am a cousin to her husband. However it's our side that has all the cousins with cancer plus one aunt. As my doctor explained, there are only two genes discovered. Scientists are certain there are more, and it's quite possible my family has a gene that is yet to be discovered.

I was also further educated when I met a gal in my plastic surgeon's office who shared her very courageous story about carrying one of the BRAC genes. She is referred to as a young "pre-vivor."  Pre-vivors are women who carry one of the genes and opt to take very aggressive measures to prevent forms of female cancer before they happen, therefore pre-vivors and not survivors.  Many of them have their children and then have all female organs removed in hopes of greatly decreasing or even completely preventing cancer all together. Now that takes courage and strength!

If you would like to hear Bert's story, AKA "Bubbles" please click on the link below. Thanks Bert for going public with your battle and helping to spread the word!

http://www.theindychannel.com/lifestyle/health/woman-battling-breast-cancer-learns-of-family-risk-through-genetic-testing

No comments: