Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Yesterday was a follow up appointment with my plastic surgeon. All looks great!  We briefly discussed if I planned to add the finishing touches (nipples and tattoo). My answer was a firm no!  That was one thing that Brad and I agreed on immediately at the appointment where we discussed the reconstruction process. He and I had almost no discussion. We simply walked out of the office, looked at each other and said "no!"  I just didn't do well looking at all those photos of reconstructed nipples, not to mention it is another surgery and another chance for infection. Afterall, if I have nipples they have to be covered up. Right now, if I really don't want to wear a bra I don't have to and there is no harm done. There is no feeling in a reconstructed nipple so there is no benefit there. 

We did discuss the sunken/concave area in my chest wall around the left breast. My plastic surgeon explained that since that was my cancer side the general surgeon would have taken as much tissue as possible therefore leaving the skin flap thinner there. Lipo injections can be done to fill in that area. Again, my answer was a firm "no!"  I can't fathom any kind of surgery at this point and I don't want to risk any chance of infection. If I would have an infection issue now it could mean starting at square one and most likely not getting nearly as good of an end result as what I have now. I have no desire to take that risk. The plan is a one year follow up appointment unless I encounter any kind of issue.

My appointment ended on a very high note as the receptionist commented on my weight loss and told me I looked great! That was certainly a bright spot in my day! So nice to receive a compliment once in awhile. 

Tonight I attended a Relay for Life meeting. I have participated in Relay before but never been a team captain. I am hoping to do some successful fundraising but am kind of lagging behind after taking on the After Prom project for Brody's Junior class. 

If you or anyone you know has a cancer diagnosis there is a great resource available through the American Cancer Society. If you simply call 1-800-227-2345 and ask for a Personal Health Manager they will mail out a kit designed to help organize your health care information. The best part is it's free! The ACS has a whole host of services available to cancer patients and their families. If you or someone you know has a need please call the toll free number with any questions you may have. 

I can't believe it's May already! I'd like to take a minute to wish all the teachers happy teacher appreciation week and the nurses a happy nurses's week!  And of course a shout out to all you moms..Happy Mother's Day!





No comments: