Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I was set up to see oncology tomorrow but the nurse practitioner did me a favor and called about my genetic testing. Results came in and I am negative!  A big blessing!!! What this means is that I don't have to have the right side removed and my risk factors for ovarian cancer are not as high. The best part is that although I have cancer, therefore putting my family at higher risk, they probably aren't as high risk as if I had one of the two BRCA genes. The nurse practitioner did say that in regards to having the right also removed it would still be a very reasonable decision. I was honestly glad to hear that as the plastic surgeon said his personal opinion was to remove it at the same time as well. As much as I would like to save one side, the fear of recurrence would always be in the back of my mind. This cancer didn't show up one year ago and now is very large. A recurrence could happen just as rapidly and I could be in the same situation again soon.On the flip side  I could go the rest of my life cancer free. I would remind all to remember that mastectomies are still not 100%. There can be cancerous cells left in the tissue of the chest wall and cancer can come back in that tissue or even under or around implants. However, the statistics are dramatically decreased.

Among the women I have spoken with who have been through breast cancer or those who have family or friends who have experienced it, the opinions are overwhelmingly in favor of not only mastectomy but bilateral. So many who started with lumpectomy ended with mastectomy and those who had unilateral many ended with bilateral. For those who haven't been faced with it many tell me they would choose to have both removed as well.

Brad said he would support my decision either way but he is obviously struggling with the idea of both  breasts being gone. I would completely expect that-it's normal. Getting him to understand how difficult it is for me is even harder. I'm really trying to weigh the pros and cons, keep an open mind, and hear the opinions of all my doctors. Naturally I have my own thoughts on the subject, but I'm trying not to allow those to be so strong they immediately eliminate something that in the end may be a good choice for me. My opinion has been that I'm OK with aggressive forms of treatment if I feel they will result in cure. Because I'm only 45 my risk of recurrence is higher, and I want not just quantity of life but quality. Being faced with a recurrence that could be prevented is huge! Thankfully breast cancer treatments are much more advanced and effective. Even 10 years ago my options would have been fewer and my chances of cure lower than they are now. There are small blessings even in rotten situations!  For those I am most grateful!!!

Thank you all for the prayers and the messages that keep coming my way. I truly believe they give me extra strength  and patience that I wouldn't have on my own!

No comments: