Through Thick and Thin

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tuesday, March 6,2012

So anyone who knows me is well aware I can be pretty ornery. And if you know my family you know I can't hold a candle to them!  I figure if I'm sharing all this personal info with all of you then you may as well get the craziness that surrounds my Journey. After all, I'm counting on it to help keep me going.

I work night shift and sometimes it's tough to get up and get moving with the normal people in this world. Last night was a long night and I was in quite the funk when I got up today. Decided it was time for my daily Diet Coke run. While I was at the store I got a text. There have been many funny ones. To save face for those sending them I won't use names, but I have to share. It was from a family member who was over due for her mammo -I had been reminding her. Her message was "I got my boobies smooshed today."  I lost it!!!  Just the pick me up I needed. So when Brad got home I read him the message all excited that someone else had gotten checked out. He too started laughing and said, "You are gonna save the world two boobs at a time aren't you?"  Well, I wouldn't go that far but whatever it takes!!!

Our conversations with our kids have always been very open. Dinner time discussions prove quite interesting as there are very few secrets. This particular evening  Kinsey's boyfriend fired one question after another  and I answered all of them honestly. Then he openly shared a story of the mom of a fellow athlete he knew.  All of the sudden Kinsey looked at me and so seriously asked "So are you having just one side off or both?"  I told her at this point just the left unless the gene testing is positive. She quickly responded "OK, just needed to know if I could call you uni-boob!"  I lost it!  Yep, that's the kind of crazy humor my family brings to these situations. Maybe some would be offended by such a comment but I couldn't help it, I cracked up and Kinsey quickly followed. (Now she will probably kick me for putting that in writing but oh well.)  By making light of stressful situations my family has been able to climb many mountains they would have otherwise likely tumbled down.  Besides it is the best medicine and by far the cheapest!!!

The other day a good friend texted.  "You'll probably kill me but if you are getting a new boob then I think they should perk your other one up while they are at it.  I thought that might make you laugh!"  First let me say, that that is part of the plan according to all my doctors. If I choose to reconstruct the girls have to match.  As usual I read the message to Brad. His response, " You don't need perked up!"  I suddenly realized I love my husband even more than I thought I did!  For those fellas who gave him grief that he "builds bridges and doesn't do boobs"  he really does!!!!

On a much more serious note I do feel perspective helps a lot. My good friend Lana talked about it recently in her blog. As I type all these sillies I think that I really don't have things all that bad. Each time I turn on the TV there is another casualty in the war, another life lost to bullying, or another tornado ravishing this great country of ours. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those people who really have something so very difficult to overcome!


No comments: