Through Thick and Thin

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Our journey ended safely for our four car caravan and we arrived at Fort Myers Beach Saturday afternoon. Sunday was our first full day and it was time to start making memories. What better way to remember your vacation than a trip to the ER?  Well, as all good stories start, Brad was heard to say "Hey guys watch this!"   All of the sudden I heard everyone asking him if he was OK. I looked up and my husband surfaced from the shallow end of the pool holding his bloody head. LOVELY!  We hadn't even been in Florida 24 hours! Well, in his defense he actually was not diving but started out doing a belly flop and at the last minute curled up running his face across the bottom of the pool. It resulted in a few abrasions and a head laceration. Keep in mind he is 6'3'' and that end of the pool was 3'. Thank goodness he wasn't diving because it's pretty certain the outcome would have been much different. I felt he needed stitches as did my sister. Since we had a delicious pork loin ready we quickly ate then headed for treatment. Let me just tell you never to get sick at Fort Myers Beach on a Sunday. What a fiasco. The care there left a lot to be desired. After a CT of the head and neck and a tetanus shot we were on our way. I was not a happy camper, no glue and no stitches. Unbelievable!  Oh well, he's a guy so he didn't care. After all scars equal great stories and believe me this one will go down in history!

After a couple of great days one of the girls in our group got an upsetting call. Before we left  she shared that her mom had an abnormal mammogram and was to have a biopsy on Monday. It was Wednesday when she got the news...the biopsy was positive. It just seemed no matter how hard we tried we couldn't get away from those dreaded words BREAST CANCER. Another friend was just a few blocks down the beach one month post-op from her bilateral mastectomies and really struggling emotionally, I am scheduled for mine April 3rd and was on a mission to put my diagnosis out of my mind and relax before my treatments begin, now our friend's  mom was newly diagnosed. It was like groundhog day, we just had to keep reliving it over and over. We shed some tears and some hugs then  all took a walk on the beach to watch the sunset. As we headed back another friend looked down and what did she see but a piece of seaweed all by itself in the shape of the breast cancer ribbon. We all just stopped and looked in awe. I got chills-it was a sign.

The week progressed and all was good. And then...Ahhh!  Back home again in Indiana! But wait, something was wrong with this picture...  did we really drive 22 hours south for 85 degree temps only to learn it was also 85 at home? Well my sister  made it seem all better when she said  "the pina coladas just don't taste the same without the waves and the sand!" Oh good, now we knew the drive was worth it!

Now that we are home it's become crunch time for me. The countdown is on, so much to do so little time. Today I made a flying trip to Indianapolis for some things. I posted a photo of the cute little camisole I purchased to wear after surgery. I will have drains in my chest that will need supported. The more drainage the heavier they get. It's tough to see but there are two little pouches that velcro inside to hold the drains. I purchased two so I will always have a clean one. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would have to spend $100 to get a pair of PJ's for after surgery. Oh well. They also come with nice soft inserts so if I have company and am self conscious I can pop in the inserts for a quick fix. The funny thing is the inserts are almost twice my normal size! That will be just as obvious as no boobs at all!




So the old saying goes "God doesn't give you more than you can handle." Well just to keep us going He has interjected some exciting things this week. Monday was the end of the season basketball banquet and Kinsey won the perseverance award. After 10 months of unexplained headaches and fatigue, a broken leg, bone on bone bruising and a sprained ankle she certainly earned it!  Brody received a letter stating this Friday he will be inducted into the National Honor Society. We are extremely proud of all his hard work and good grades! We can't wait to celebrate with him!























No comments: