Through Thick and Thin

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Friday, February 24, 2012

This morning I was able to consult with a local surgeon for a second opinion.  Brad and my sister Kristin (a nurse practitioner) both went along. Kristin had offered to go to the first appointment but I hated for her to miss work. so I told her not to worry about going.  Later I was really wishing I would have taken her up on the offer. I was so glad she could join us today.

This doctor started in a similar fashion. He spoke with us and examined me. He looked over just the path report as that was the only info he had at that point and was hopeful he could suggest a lumpectomy and radiation to save the breast. However he stated he needed to review all the info before giving a full treatment plan.

1. He clearly stated this IS cancer, no questions asked. He clarified it is not life threatening and has a 98% cure rate either way-lumpectomy and radiation vs mastectomy.
2. After reviewing the mammo pictures he was leaning towards mastectomy. The radiologist had shared her thoughts for mastectomy and also that I had told her mastectomy was my preference.
3. Next he tried to obtain the MRI results from out of town. He was successful in getting the left side results but not yet the right side. Maybe they were not through dictating. That was the deal breaker. He read the results to all of us. I'm going to be perfectly honest, I was kind of blown away. The area measured 9.3cm by as wide as 2x2cm and 3.5cm. This would be way too large to do a lumpectomy, in fact he would now need to check a lymph node.
4. We discussed genetic testing and all agreed that needed done.
5. He offered to set me up to see a plastic surgeon to discuss reconstruction.
6. The right side is still undecided as we need the MRI results from it. Also, should I carry the gene, that would also help determine a plan for the right.

These things all made perfect sense to all three of us and I was certainly feeling much more comfortable with this doctor from the very beginning. Now to make a final decision.

We got home and in the mail was paperwork from doctor number one. It was instructions for surgery. Even being a nurse I was having a difficult time figuring out just what kind of surgery. I had not agreed to re-biopsy.  It appeared to be mapping out lymph nodes and then doing a surgery to obtain them. That typically happens with the mastectomy. There was no letter of explanation, nothing. That paperwork helped us finalize our decision. We are going to stick with the local doctor. I just feel much more comfortable, he also comes with high recommendations as does the plastic surgeon I would see, and he is close to home. There is something to be said for it being close to Brad's and my sister's work. Especially since Kristin is my health care representative.

Although my mind was somewhat at ease my stress level was still high. My dear friend Mary, who was 99, passed away last night. My heart was still very heavy. Her passing was a blessing but I will miss her terribly! If that wasn't enough, just before my appointment my dad had called to say that he was taking his fiance'  Dianne to the emergency room for bleeding. Needless to say I left my appointment and headed to the ER to be with them. Fortunately she was released and will have follow-up testing.

That pretty much sums up an emotionally exhausting day. I do feel that my prayers were answered in that I was able to make a decision on my surgeon and  it was agreeable to both Brad and I. Now to start researching reconstruction.

No comments: