Through Thick and Thin

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February 16, 2012
Wednesday I had worked two jobs totaling 18 hours.  I had just gotten out of bed when the call came in. It was the breast center calling saying the pathology report was back and I needed be there in 1 hour and 15 min.  Just enough time for me to hop in the shower and make it in time.  I asked no questions. The fact the results were not given over the phone and that there was urgency prepared me for what to expect.

I really didn't have time to round up anyone to go with me. The drive there allowed me time for a good cry and just enough time to regroup and be clear headed when I met with the radiologist.  She confirmed that I had DCIS-ductal carcinoma in-situ.  She patted my hand and I told her it was OK, I already knew.  First was the good news-ductal cancers are contained within the milk duct and generally are non-invasive.  Also Estrogen/Progesterone receptors were checked and 100% of my tumor cells showed strong positives for immunoreactivity for these receptors.  In English that means that I was identified as a patient that may respond to hormone therapy.  Also that typically these pateints experience longer periods cancer free and longer survival rates.  Great news!!!

The rest of the information was more concerning.  All of my core biopsies were positive for cancer and the surrounding tissue obtained exhibited atypical ductal hyperplasia. Cells change and mutate over time. Atypical cells means they are not cancer but they are in the process of becoming abnormal and likely to become cancer.  Next she went on to say that there were other areas of calcification on my mammogram that were not biopsied which were concerning.  She prepared me to be thinking mastectomy. We had briefly discussed this in our last meeting. Every woman is differnt but my personal belief is that lumpectomy is not for me. I was OK with thinking mastectomy-removal of the entire breast. Of course my next question was what about an MRI to further evaluate the other breast? I have been told more than once that typically MRI is not the first line diagnostic tool, mammogram is. The reason being MRI has a high rate of false positives. However, once a mammogram and/ or biopsy reveals an area of concern MRI is the next step. We discussed which surgeon I wanted and some other details and then I headed home.

So what is a girl to do when she's all alone, she's just heard the dreaded words "You have cancer" and she has to go home and tell her family?  Well... my answer was to hide behind my sunglasses, have a good cry, and of course crank up Def Leppard loud enough to almost blow out my Bose speakers!!!  And that's exactly what I did!!!

Once my family was all home my sister arrived. And as any good sister would do she had a full bottle of wine! I reviewed everything and we cried a little and polished off the wine. Both of our children had good distractions that evening. Kinsey's boyfriend unfortunately was in the hospital so she left to be with him. Brody's girlfriend was here because they had a soccer game that evening. They then had each other. Brad and I decided to get a ride for the kids to the game and go to my Dad's to tell the rest of my family the results.  While we were there came the final blow.  My sister called crying.  She had opened her mail and was notified her mammogram was abnormal and she needed follow-up.  That was the final straw. I told Brad I could handle me having cancer but I couldn't handle both of us going through it.  I lost it on the way home!

Friday, February 17, 2012
Since I was expecting not to get my results until today I had planned ahead and scheduled a much needed massage. I don't know if anyone else has every experienced this but more than once after a mammogram I have had pain in my chest wall. Doctors and technologists are unable to answer why but one time it lasted months. They actually did further testing. This time, after my biopsy, I had that pain and a pain in my shoulder. The massage did the trick and relaxed all of that at least temporarily. While there I got a message from my sis. There was a cancellation so she was getting a mammo that afternoon. Perfect!  I had to go back to the breast center for my records anyway so I met her there. What was to be a one hour test turned into three hours. The news was worth the wait-just cysts, follow up in 6 months!  WHEW!!!! Answered prayers there!

No comments: