Through Thick and Thin

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sunday, September 28, 2014

What a beautiful day to share a story about a young woman I met while on my journey.  Leanna and I were sitting in the office of our plastic surgeon, just the two of us.  She struck up conversation and we soon discovered we had both undergone reconstruction, but for completely different reasons. She spoke very frankly and educated me on women known as young "previvors". Our conversation came to an abrupt end as we were each called to exam rooms.  Upon leaving the office I heard someone call out "hey wait!'  I turned around and it was Leanna wanting to finish sharing her story.  Since then we have remained in contact via Facebook and she has graciously given me permission to share her story with all of you.

Previvors are women who are found to carry genes linked to breast and ovarian cancer who decide to prevent female cancers by taking aggressive measures such as removing all their female organs. By doing this they do not have to become survivors of female cancers, they "previve." Leanna refers to PBM-prophylactic bilateral mastectomy. She also refers to her new "foobs" or fake boobs! The term seroma refers to a collection of fluid under the skin that often develops after surgery.  Please take a moment to read her story to learn more.


No comments: