Through Thick and Thin

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thursday, October 10, 2013

You can't miss it because it's advertised everywhere-October is breast cancer awareness month. I absolutely love that businesses and organizations are helping raise awareness about breast cancer and are also raising money to help with prevention and cure. Statistically it affects one in eight which is huge when you think about it. All the hype and publicity, the openly shared struggles of fighters and survivors, they are all very empowering. I must say they are also a source of encouragement to me to be so open about my journey. It's no longer taboo to talk about boobs in public. Who would have thought that??? haha

That being said, I completely understand that for folks with other cancers all the pink may feel like a negative.  I will never forget the lunch I had last October with a friend diagnosed with melanoma. Deb was a guest writer here and she spoke at Relay for Life. She said sometimes she wonders "Where is my melanoma day?" That statement really hit home to me, especially as we sat in Panera and the restaurant was all decked out in pink. Pretty sure I have shared her thought before, but it seemed only fitting as I sit here and type in my pink shirt touting "Power in Pink" that I post something this month that isn't just all about breast cancer. All cancers are evil and anyone who hears the words "You have cancer" experiences a gamut of feelings that can be very overwhelming. We can buy shirts that represent other cancers, we can even have them made, but there is just something about strength in numbers. Those things will never have the same effect as pink plastered everywhere from newspapers, to football fields to cakes in a display window. 

In an effort to help educate and raise awareness about other cancers and diseases I hope to find more guest writers for my blog. Our stories are different but we have a common bond. Great strength can be gained from sharing and it can also be incredibly therapeutic. If you would like to be a guest here please feel free to contact me through my blog or my email at kbdeno@sbcglobal.net. Together we can make a difference!


Of course I will continue with my passion for pink but in the meantime may this rainbow of color represent all who are facing any kind of struggle.







No comments: