Through Thick and Thin

Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday, March 25, 2013

One week ago today a very special angel entered the gates of Heaven.  We called her Grandma Betty.  Grandma turned 95 just 8 days before, but a celebration was not meant to be. Instead, just before her birthday, she announced she was ready to go to be with the Lord and all her deceased family members.  From that time on family held a constant vigil by her bed tending to her every need. I was so very proud of my dad for his strength and devotion. He had faithfully gone to visit Grandma twice a day daily during her years in the nursing home. Over the winter months, as she began failing, he rode each trip in the ambulance with her and spent many hours with her at the hospital. Once she decided it was her time he and his siblings took turns by her side around the clock.

Grandma had a long, vibrant life filled with her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and even a few great greats. She was so proud of each and every one and always had time to stop and brag about their latest endeavors and accomplishments. She was such a wonderful role model- loving wife, mother, grandmother.  And an awesome cook for sure! I always remember the homemade baked macaroni and homemade ice cream at family gatherings. As our family grew to record numbers she decided to rent out the local private school gym and each Christmas she hosted a big party. We enjoyed delicious food, fellowship, basketball games, and of course presents.  She made sure that every single person had at least something small to open besides her monetary gift.  Mostly though, Grandma was a soldier of Christ. She faithfully attended daily Mass until she simply wasn't able, then attended weekly Mass at the nursing home. She devoted hours of her day to EWTN and simply adored a nun by the name of Mother Angelica. The one thing I will never forget about Grandma is her undying devotion to the Holy Rosary. She would say it faithfully every single day and usually multiple times a day, always letting family know she was praying it for all of us! When she was so frail and weak and could hardly speak it was her Rosary she requested.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer Grandma was one of my many prayer warriors. Every time I would visit she assured me she had already prayed that very day for me! She always remembered to ask how I was doing and when my next surgery was. And of course, as Grandmothers do, she told me to be careful and not to over do! There was a lot of comfort in knowing she had things under control even on the days I felt like I didn't.



                                                                 
                         One of the many Christmas celebrations in the school gym


 Great Grandchildren Colton, Kinsey, Brody, Cassidy 
(the only four grandchildren of my dad)
and Grandma Betty Budreau


My brother Kenny, me, my sister Kristin, and Grandma


My Dad, Step-mom Dianne, and Grandma 

Saying good-bye is always hard no matter how old, how sick, or how much someone is ready to leave this world. However I found comfort in knowing that Grandma got her wish to be with the Lord, her family members, and to finally be free of pain. Kinsey was able to help with the readings at her service and Brody was asked to be a pall bearer. So many of the great grandchildren were able to be a part of her celebration of life.  Thank you Grandma for all you did for me and my family, but most of all thanks for your many prayers and undying love for us. There is no doubt God is rewarding you now in Heaven!

With all my love,
Kim




No comments: